When was your last digital detox? Or rather, when was your last digital health check-in? Whether it was last week, last month, last year or never, here are few questions for your next check-in:
- Are you struggling to shake off a feeling of unease or anxiety?
- Are you comparing your life and personal journey to others? If so, how often?
- Do you experience a feeling of not doing enough? Does this feeling stay even after you’ve accomplished a major feat, received a promotion, or just solved an obstacle?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, one reason might be – the social media trap. We fall into the trap of comparing ourselves to others as we scroll through feeds, and make judgements about how we measure up. The more we use social media, the less happy we seem to be.
A central reason that we keep coming back to social media, studies have found, is because we think it will give us a boost and make us feel better. But in reality, it makes us feel worse. That errant belief is part of the vicious cycle.
As a society, we are conditioned to be rewarded and appreciated for our achievements. Social media is designed in a way to propel this inherent belief that who we are is defined by our displays of successes. This makes the hamster wheel analogy come to life as we keep going from achievement to achievement hoping it would soothe the feeling of unease and anxiety. Somehow it leaves us feeling more empty than ever.
How do we escape this trap?
The way out of this trap is simple: tame the self-critic in you and truly accept your reality. Embrace everything your life is and all that you want it to be — as defined by your own terms. There is a lot of freedom and ease for those who can live with this mindset.
- Create a ritual for yourself to do a digital detox at least once a month.
- When you find yourself going into a comparison cycle, become conscious of all the things you are doing that your younger self would be proud of.
- Set healthy boundaries from people and accounts that maybe draining you.
Coaching is a tool that can help you gain the skills you need to find peace and calm on the inside no matter what’s happening on the outside. Book a chemistry call with a coach today and say yes to a better you!